- Don't forget to "sell yourself"
- Be passionate about who you are
- Don't focus too much on who the other person across the table is; this is your chance to talk about you!
- Be prepared and try not to show that you are scared or nervous
- Do your homework in advance, that will differentiate you
- It is a tough job market and there will be a lot of competition, but it is really important to discuss why you are better than the next person for the job
- You need to tell the employer about your skills, don't expect them to draw it out of you!
- Answer all questions on your application and make things really clear on your resume, proofread!
- Follow-up with the employer. It is important to show you are different
Most importantly, our guests stressed being genuine and making a connection with the employer across the table. As one guest said, "I don't hire resumes, I hire people."
Thank you again for all your great advice and we hope to see you at MND soon!