- Believe in yourself! No one is going to believe in you if they can't see that you are confident in yourself and what you bring to the table
- Separate yourself from the rest of the applicants by showing what makes you stand out as a person
- Don't include too much fluff on your resume, you don't want to overreach
- Look out for inconsistencies and typographical errors in your resume and application
- Give a strong handshake and maintain good eye contact throughout the interview
- Make sure your bullet points on your resume are examples of how you are successful and valuable, rather than just stating that you are
- Prepare your two minute elevator speech for why you want the job you are applying for and how it fits with your previous experiences
- Have stories ready for personal experiences that illustrate your soft skills; this is stronger than saying, "I am a good communicator."
- Have questions ready for your interviewer; this shows that you are interested and did your homework on the company
- Show that you have attention to detail by having an accurate resume and application
- Interviews only look at resumes for 6-10 seconds, so be concise
- Be descriptive with your answers to questions and prepare to answer behavioral questions that require you to lay out a situation, your role, actions you took, and the results
- Sell yourself! Be clear about why they should hire you for the position
- Be honest, but don't say what isn't necessary- keep focused on the job you are applying for
- Cover tattoos and make sure you are well groomed before the interview
- Settle your nerves!
- Make sure stories that are non-professional are still relevant to the job
Thank you to our mock interviews, Martin, Sheri G., Sheri R., Chuck, Duncan, Nash, and Rich, for sharing your time and expertise to help our job-seekers prepare for their interviews! We really appreciate the feedback you gave for how to perfect our interview techniques and impress the employer. Here are some of the takeaways and pieces of advice from the panel debrief:
Visit our blog regularly to keep up on all our activities!