- Practice before you go on an interview
- Tell your truth
- Make sure your application and resume are consistent
- Follow-up with your interviewer even of it means reaching out 2 to 3 times
- Be sure to ask questions
- Make sure your personality fits with the job you are applying for
- Figure out how your passion fits into the position you are applying for
- Come prepared to your interview with examples of specific job experiences that support the skills you have
- Develop an elevator pitch. Be able to tell your interviewer "who you are" within 30 to 60 seconds
Thank you to our mock interviewers for supporting the many clients at Maryland New Directions (MND) and helping them to better understand the interviewing process. Here are some things we learned from today's mock interviewers that will help us in our next job interview:
Thank you to our guest speakers Elizabeth, Vicki, Janet, and Glenda for sharing your career stories and making our first Connections Friday of 2015 a success! Each guest speaker gave a unique story that touched everyone in attendance. They all believed in the power of motivation and that there's no substitute for a strong work ethic. Here are some tips to success that the guest speakers shared:
"Very encouraging and enlightening. I'm looking forward to staying in touch."
"I enjoyed the stories, all of them had good endings. It was also nice to learn about volunteer activities."
"I never thought volunteering was so important."
"I really enjoyed the personal stories of overcoming challenges"
Visit our blog regularly to keep up on all our activities!